Grab the RSS feed

Launchpad Away

LAUNCHPAD AWAY

Location: Manteca/Modesto, California
Members: Larry Yadao (Vocals), Anthony Yadao (Guitar), Jack Bearden (Guitar), Kevin Russ (Drums), Peter Tilley (Bass)
Genres: Pop alternative, pop punk, rock, indie, acoustic
Record label: None

Launchpad Away on MySpace

As my readers know (Yes, all three of them), I've been pretty swamped lately with school and other things. I haven't even payed attention to any band-related things for the blog. However, on the rare night where I have nothing to do, I received answers to an interview from a great Cali band that seems to have been as busy as I have. Enjoy one of the first (and last) interviews you'll be seeing for a while.


Launchpad Away makes me think of some classic Nickelodeon show. How did you come up with the name?
Larry: I actually get this a lot, and you're actually on the right track. When I want to give a short answer, I'll say that it's basically taken from the fact that when you are on a launch pad, it means you're going to take off, and that's what we want to do with our music. But to be honest, it actually came from a song AND a cartoon. See, I wrote a song some time ago and didn't know whether to call it "Dining With Denial" or "One World Act". Well, I decided to look at the abbreviations of each, just to see if it spelled out anything, and it ended up being "DWD OWA". Well, DW made me think of Darkwing Duck, and I remembered that launch pad in the show called Darkwing "DW". So I stuck onto Lauchpad, which then left me with Launchpad OWA, and OWA sounded like "away". So the song ended up being named "Launchpad Away". Well, that song ended up being filed somewhere, yet I liked the name, so we named the band Launchpad Away! See why I usually say the shorter version?
Anthony: *Laughs*
Peter: Word.

It looks like you guys are still a baby band, having only formed in February of 2009. How much have you done within the past seven months?
Larry: We've actually done a lot. We've had only six or so shows, and with it have opened and played with a LOT of great artists. Just recently, we played with The Color Turning, who is on Scott Wieldman's (Stone Temple Pilots) label. We have also played with Josh Damigo, who has opened up for Jason Mraz and even the Jonas Brothers. We've sold out our demos, earning money for shirts which we've been selling at our shows, and we've had offers from people wanting to help produce our album in the future.
Peter: This band is going to be epic.

How do you all know each other?
Larry: I know Pete through Anthony. Keven through Pete, and Jack contacted me a while back. We finally met up and got things rolling.

One of the songs you have posted on your MySpace is "Flamingo" (which is my personal favorite). How do you feel about the near-endangerment of the Andean flamingo? If Launchpad Away becomes widely popular, would you consider starting an organization to help said flamingos (or, perhaps, adopt one)?
Larry: First off, thank you for the compliment about "Flamingo". I actually recorded that song years ago. In fact, the version we play now is a lot more "mature" with a different arrangement. But I'd love to help the flamingos. Anything that likes shrimp as much as I do is cool in my book.
Anthony: If I can ride it without hurting the poor thing, sign me up!
Peter: Flamingos are only pink because of the food they eat.

What's the music scene like in Manteca? Do you fit into it well, or are you the first of your genre?
Larry: The scene isn't too loud. Well, it is, but it isn't. The scene around here is screamo/hardcore, and though it serves its purpose and we have no problem with it, we feel that it's time to bring another side out of music around here. See, we understand how serious and determined you have to be to "make it", but I think sometimes we tend to let that factor bleed too much into the main purpose in music. The joy of it...whether it makes you sing along with a smile on your face or makes you cry, music is a good thing. Not something negative. And a lot of times, it can be looked on as that. We want to work out butts off to get our music to the biggest stage it can be at, and yet be able to make people feel like we're the same group of guys that goes to Denny's after shows to just hang out.
So to answer your question, there isn't much of our music around here. It's either heavy or indie, and we're in between.
Peter: We are definitely trying to pave the way for a more alternative scene in our area. There are a few bands but not many, and none seem to really come together. I'd like to see a local venue have an afternoon show packed with local bands, you know?

Are any of you in other musical projects?
Peter: Awaiting Better Music. It's a low-rate Tenacious D duo comedy band type thing.

Do you have names for your instruments?
Larry: I call my microphone Mike!

I noticed that since you contacted me about an interview, you literally gained a member overnight. Are you considering recruiting any more musicians? If so, what qualities/abilities should they have?
Larry: It's actually something I've been thinking about for quite some time. In my last band, which was metal, I was always just vocals. I love when frontmen such as Corey Taylor from Slipknot or Heyley from Paramore can run around, focus on their art, and connect with the crowd with what they can do on stage. I want to do that too, and I know others can do that with guitar and singing at the same time. I'm just not the best guitarist combined singer in the world.
Anthony: Two words: tambourine player.
Peter: Kevin?
Larry: In terms of what we look for in a member, I have one statement: I'd rather have a person in my band that's a great guy/girl and is an average musician than a jerk that is an amazing musician. It's all about the connection and the fellowship. If the heart and passion is there, along with the talent, it will work. One without the other won't.

Who does the majority of songwriting? Where do you gather most of your inspiration?
Larry: I usually do in terms of melody of the songs or lyrics. The guys will throw guitar riffs and pieces of their songs, and from there, I'll write for hours and hours. I carry a little recorder everywhere I go and I have at least 300 five-second tracks of just melodies. My inspiration is things that make me feel joy, or things I want to help solve. I try to write about self-improvement or recognizing and solving what's around us and inside of us. I also get inspiration from family and favorite musicians such as Michael Jackson (RIP King of Pop!), FOB, Slipknot, and Paramore. I like going to local shows a lot too to get the feel of what's around me.

I see you've played shows at Hot Topic and 180 Teen Center. Do you play live often? What as been the most interesting thing to happen to you at a live show? Do you have a favorite venue or a certain place you would like to perform someday?
Larry: Madison Square Garden. We always joke about that, going "Man, that show last night was fun...but not as fun as when we sold out MSG". That would be a dream. Either that, or somewhere in Japan where there are 60,000 fans singing our songs.
We want to play at least two shows a month and grow from there. We want to eventually get signed, then tour. That's our "local" primary goal. As far as the most interesting thing at a show, there's been a lot. I remember when playing with Josh Damigo, we had a hair fling contest with his cello player and an LPA fan. It was great.
Peter: I would love to play at Arco Arena one day. It's where the Sacramento Kings play, but it's also where most of the concerts I have been to are held. And it's getting to the other side of the venue that would feel like I had really accomplished something with these guys.
Also the Milton Keynes Bowl, because it's where Green Day filmed their "Bullet in a Bible" in front of about 100,000 people. We have to sell out a place like that once in our career.

What are your thoughts on the possibility of Lady Gaga being a man? Would you ever do a cover of "Poker Face"?
Larry: Not really, and I don't care. haha

Do you have any long-term goals for the band? Short-term?
Larry: Long-term is to go all out and be huge. Share our music with as many people as we can. If it only touches hearts around our area, then that's what God wants me to do. But any musician would be lying if they said they didn't want to be on the radio, playing shows in front of thousands.

What musicians do each of you look up to the most?
Larry: Michael Jackson. I don't even have to go into detail about that. But for one man to perform in front of 60,000+ and get people fainting and crying and screaming over him, you know he's that man. In terms of other bands, I like Slipknot, Fall Out Boy, Switchfoot, and Paramore.
Anthony: If I had to choose one guitarist that I always admired, I would have to say Jim Root from Slipknot and Stone Sour. His tone, his style...everything about the way he goes at music is very unique.I've always been a big fan of him from the first time I heard Slipknot, and when I got to meet him at the Family Values Tour when he played with Stone Sour, it really was something that drove me to become the guitarist I am today.
Peter: Mike Dirnt from Green Day is the reason I play bass. I defiantly look up to him and what he does when I play and write bass lines. Also Michael Todd from Coheed and Cambria and Chris#2 from Anti-Flag. They are amazing at what they do and I always think about how they would go about writing when I do. I don't want to be your everyday bassist. I want my lines to be catchy and have some influence on how the songs sound. Which, I feel in Launchpad, they do. I think all of us doing something different in each song really has a good effect on the music we play.

When you're not playing music, what are you guys doing?
Larry: I love to read and play old video games from Playstation and Super Nintendo. To be quite honest, on my days off from work, I'm chilling at a Starbucks, writing. And then besides all that, spending time with my loved ones.
Anthony: I've been blessed with a really large crew of friends that I hang out with on a constant basis. For me, nothing is better than getting everyone together at one house and just chilling and being yourself. I do have to say, though, that everyone who knows me knows that I'm a pretty big video game nerd. For The Horde!
Peter: I'm playing more music.

Any last thoughts?
Larry: Be all about the scene. A lot of people talk about how "scene kids" are bad or how being a part of a scene is dumb. Well, if it is, CHANGE IT! Be all about it, do what you can. People nowadays talk about all the bad in the world. First let's all look in the mirror and ask ourselves, "What have I done lately to help out?"
And most of all, thank you all for the support. You ain't heard nothin' yet!
Peter: Word.


0 comments:

  •